Frequently Asked Questions
- The BIO Coronavirus Hub was launched by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO), to connect companies and organizations that have relevant supplies, capacities, and resources to share, with those companies, researchers, or healthcare providers in need of those items.
- BIO is the global trade association representing the biotechnology industry. Our role in this effort is to serve as a conduit to connect those in need with those who can share, many of whom may be BIO members. We do this through the BIO Coronavirus Hub, which is a public platform open to anyone in need and anyone who can help.
- BIO is not a healthcare relief organization, so we are unable to accept donations or supplies directly, nor provide advice on the supplies, capacities, and resources that are offered through the site or are most needed by other organizations; however, we can connect you with organizations that are equipped to handle these services through our Coronavirus Hub.
The hub enables users to post requests/ search for “needs” and “ability to give” among four categories, divided into sub-topics:
- Research & Development – Are you in need of Research & Development resources or capabilities or have to ability to share?
- Manufacturing Capacity & Distribution – Are you in need of manufacturing capacity or have available capacity to share?
- Supplies – Are you looking for particular supplies, or have available ones to share, including PPE equipment?
- General & Scientific Information– Are you looking for answers to particular questions about COVID-19 response activities, supplies, or resources, or looking for partners to assist you?
The hub allows to tag posts/ refine search among the following product types:
- Medical Devices
- Personal Protective Equipment
To post a need, or post the ability to give, click on the appropriate button on the home page, which is “Share what you need” or “Share what you can give.”
- Select if you have a need or can give, then include the state where you are located. Note that at the bottom, there is an option for nationwide or outside the U.S.
- Select the product type
- Then select a type of request and a sub-topic (see above) and provide a descriptive title for your request.
- You may ignore “Group/Visibility.”
- Provide a description of your need, or the item(s) you can provide. If the item is for purchase, please include pricing information.
- Please indicate whether you are able to support the movement or shipping of the items and provide your location.
- Lastly, you can post an image or document if you’d like, such as a product cut-sheet.
- Click “Save” to post.
The hub’s explore section allows you to search for a specific “need” or “give” among the existing posts
- Select among the four categories in the “Explore the Hub” section
- Use the filter section to tailor your search (e.g., select the sub-topic, indicate whether you are looking for a “need” vs. a “give” and/or if you are looking for a specific product type- see above- and the state you are located in)
- You can also add keywords to search for a specific product
- Results will be displayed based on your selection of “sort by”- you can choose to sort by publish date or sub-topic
Posts among the different categories are meant to operate as a peer-to-peer system. Similar to Craigslist, all posts are public (except posts in the PPE sub-topic, see below). A representative of a company or organization may post a request or availability; someone can comment on that post, then the two can connect and fill the need between themselves. The BIO Coronavirus Hub is simply the conduit to make these connections happen.
The PPE sub-topic within the Supplies category works a little differently from the other sections. All posts within the PPE sub-topic are private. We know state health departments are triaging many of these requests to identify where there is the greatest need.
To accomplish this, BIO has partnered with Healthcare Ready to handle the “need” and “give” requests. Healthcare Ready is uniquely positioned to help facilitate these requests, as they are a non-profit organization actively involved in emergency management and donation coordination. Healthcare Ready works with state health and emergency management departments, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to understand areas of greatest need.
If you are a company looking to provide large-scale manufacturing capabilities or bulk products in-kind, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be assisted directly. This email address is monitored on a very frequent basis.